I’ve decided to stop reporting spam to ISP’s.
It just seems like an incredible waste of effort on my part.
For YEARS now I’ve used SpamCop to report spam to ISP’s (both the mail provider and related web hosts) and have gotten very few non-automated responses.
In fact, from what I can tell, since 2007 I’ve received a total of 14 responses to my spam reports that even acknowledge that there was a problem. And even fewer that indicate that they are doing anything.
I used to also report spam that originated on the AT&T network to the AT&T Direct form on DSL Reports, and some kind of positive response from David, but have since been told to send the reports to the official AT&T abuse address.
I’ve also been told by various ISP’s that I should read the spam and follow the appropriate instructions that were included as part of CAN-SPAM compliance. This, of course, ignores the original problem … I didn’t want to get the spam in the first place.
I might resume reporting spam to ISP’s if I got some indication that they were actually doing something … or even that they were not going to do something (i.e., we don’t deem this message to be spam). Yes, I understand that ISP’s get a large amount of spam reports, but when they act on a report they should tell the people who made the report that they are doing something.
So, as of today, I’m going to be using the spam I receive simply to train the Bayesian filters in SpamAssassin and nothing more.