Team Novo Nordisk posed an interesting question on their website …
WOULD YOU GIVE BACK YOUR DIABETES DIAGNOSIS?
There are two sides to the question for me …
If I didn’t have T2 diabetes, I wouldn’t have to deal with…
- Diet control
- Counting carbs
- Testing my blood sugars twice a day
- Twice a year blood tests to check my A1C
On the other hand … the diagnosis did …
- Give me the kick in the pants I needed to improve my overall health
- Got me into cycling in a big way
- Through cycling (and Tour de Cure), introduced me to some of the best friends I’ve had in my life.
To be fair … I really like cycling. At this point I wouldn’t want to give it up for anything. Maybe I would have rediscovered my love of cycling without the diabetes diagnosis … but I kind of doubt it. I owned a bicycle for years before I got into riding it again.
Of course, if I hadn’t gotten into cycling again, I would have saved a lot of money on bikes, upgrades, kit, etc. 🙂