If you’re like me, you probably install & uninstall software on your system on a a fairly frequent basis.
One of the things that really annoys me when I install software is when it automatically takes over a file extension association that was previously registered with the system.
This happened a while ago when I installed some IBM software for work … the .scr extension was taken over completely. ‘.scr’ is normally associated with windows screen savers, but now it’s associated with the IBM CODE/400 editor (which I don’t use).
After digging around a bit, I found an easy way to fix this. Just execute the following command: ‘assoc .scr scrfile‘
This restores the association of .scr files to the system’s screen saver mechanism.
You must do ‘assoc .scr=scrfile’ instead.
Thank you for the great info.