Last sunday Ginny and I went to w00tstock Chicago at the Park West … it was an incredibly fun time.
W00tstock is the brain child of Wil Wheaton, Paul and Storm, and Adam Savage. It’s billed as “Three hours of geeks and music”.
Sadly, it wasn’t quite as advertised … the show lasted four and a half hours … and was absolutely laugh out loud funny.
As luck would have it, we ran into some of my fiends from the IBM i community … Dave and Nancy Boutcher. Totally coincidence. Good thing they recognized me.
One of the nice things about the show is that it’s licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike license … so they allow cameras, video cameras, audo records, etc.
As such, I was able to get this incredible rendition of Adam Savage singing “I Will Survive” by Diana Ross … in the voice of Gollum:
(this was taken with my new Canon 7D with it’s video recording capability).
There were SO many hilarious moments, almost too many to recount. Here’s some of my favorites though …
- The above song by Adam Savage.
- Peter Sagel’s monologue as a evil villain’s minion.
- The 7 minute rendition of Paul and Storm’s “The Captain’s Wife’s Lament” (which was supposed to take around 7 minutes, but took at least 30. The cast could not keep a straight face or on script).
Update 8-Jun-10: I’m really glad I decided not to host the video on my own system … as it was picked up by the Geeks Are Sexy blog. My servers would be in pieces by now.
Gripes about the show? Not many.
- I wish the Park West served food, even bar snacks, as Ginny and I were very hungry.
- Parking sucks around the Park West.
- I wish Adam Savage had more involvement with the show. His piece was kind of short and near the end.