Paramount is breathing life into its “Star Trek” franchise by setting “Mission: Impossible III” helmer J.J. Abrams to produce and direct the 11th “Trek” feature, aiming for a 2008 release.
It’s clear the people who are in charge of the Trek movies just don’t know how to do a good story.
Let’s see how it stacks up …
- The Motion Picture — Boooorrrrriiinnngggg
- Star Trek: The Wrath of Kahn — Probably the best of the lot … action, adventure, angst, and a great villain.
- The Search for Spock — Not bad … but not great
- The Voyage Home — Pretty good. Added a humorous twist
- The Final Frontier — Lame.
- The Undiscovered Country — Stupid.
- Generations — So so … reasonable crossover. At least Kirk died. I kind of consider this the start of a new series of movies.
- First Contact — Not bad. Good action, good villain, good resolution.
- Insurrection — Fair to middling. Would have been better suited as a mini-series or 3-4 part regular series episode.
- Nemesis — Dumb.