Android and sendmail

And you probably read in my last post … I had a problem getting mail setup my new Android phone.

I could receive mail fine … but it failed (with a totally useless message) whenever I tried to send mail.  I was sure I had the settings right (userid, password, ssl, etc).

I have my mail server configured to do authenticated sending (as all good mail server admin’s should) … but for some reason the authentication wasn’t working correctly.

I tried various setting combinations to see what might be the problem … I verified the settings with my iPhone and Thunderbird.  Everything matched up.

I checked the logs on my mail server and saw some odd errors …

Aug  5 20:01:53 rivendell sendmail[31534]: p7611rkF031534: [] did n
ot issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to internal-msa-smtps

so I bumped up the logging level up on sendmail to see what if I could get any more information …


… and tried sending again … and saw something VERY interesting …

Aug  5 22:07:54 rivendell sendmail[11409]: p7637rkt011409: AUTH failure (CRAM-MD
5): user not found (-20) SASL(-13): user not found: no secret in database

… well, that indicated that it was trying to use the CRAM-MD5 authentication mechanism in sendmail … which I have never actually setup or used.

So I checked the again and saw that the authentication mechanism’s setup did indeed include CRAM-MD5 (and DIGEST-MD5).


So I disabled the two MD5 authentication mechanism’s …

define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS’, `LOGIN’)

… and tried to send again.  It worked!

Of course it would probably be better to use some variation on MD5 credentials for authentication … but that’s a project for another day.

Related posts ...
Fair warning: This post is pretty darn technical and is of little interest to people
This post is as much to help me remember as it is to help other
Spammers quite often 'spoof', or fake, the from address of an email. As a result
Well, our good friends at Yahoo are at it again. Once again they are deferring

2 thoughts on “Android and sendmail

  1. Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

    Having just set up my new Android phone on Friday I do feel your pain. My outbound mail also was frustrating to set up as I authenticate to Communigate via a Barracuda unit. Getting the combination of TLS and port number etc took many tries. I also found messages in the Communigate logs similar to yours as I fought through the issues. Luckily the Barracuda does much of the security stuff in this configuration.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.