I’m in the process of experimenting with the multi-site capability of WordPress.
This allows me to run multiple blogs on a single instance of WordPress.
Right now I’ve moved this blog and Eclipsey Ramblings to multi-site. I’ll probably be moving Fallingrock Photography to it also (after I figure out the bug that’s causing the photos to not display correctly).
A few observations about the migrations that I’ve done so far …
- The category structure didn’t get migrated very well.
- Duplicate entries
- Some lost of hierarchy
- Category ‘slugs’ (short name that are used in the url) were changed.
- Some posts, that used specific html, got corrupted.
- Themes that make fully qualified references to assets (images, scripts, etc) don’t work correctly.
- Plug-in configuration options were not migrated
Personally, I would have liked to see the ability to migrate a blog from single instance to multi-site using direct database to database conversion.