If you run a wordpress blog, you really should be aware that there is a global attack on wordpress blogs going on.
It’s coming from a bot net and is an attempt to find blogs that have their admin account enabled with easy to guess passwords.
I noticed the attack a couple of months ago when, while watching my web server log scrolling by, I noticed a significant number of attempts to use the wp-login.php script from random IP addresses.
A bit of research turned up information on the global attack.
Obviously I wanted to do something about it to protect my server.
Sorry it took so long, but other things had a higher priority.
I finally got around to writing a program that will update the current blog’s database with the content from the old database.
This is to correct the import problem that I discovered a few weeks ago.
I really should put together a bug report for wordpress.
Of course it would be even better if there were a mechanism to convert a single site wordpress blog to a multi-site blog, so these kind of issues would be avoided.
Folks, this is just a warning for those of you who might be considering using the WordPress Export / Import functionality to transfer your blog to another server.
Be aware, it appears to be broken … at least in the 3.0 release.
OK, this is a bit of a stretch … but the connection between IBM i and IBM Watson just got a tiny (very tiny) bit smaller.
Many people (especially those in the IBM i community) know that Watson runs on the Power 7 CPU (Power 750 to be exact) … the same chip that IBM i runs on.
Well, it turns out that the blog that IBM is discussing Watson on, ‘A Smarter Planet’, is running the “WP Tags to Technorati” plug-in for WordPress that I wrote.
OK, so it’s a BIG stretch … let me live my illusions 🙂
I’m in the process of experimenting with the multi-site capability of WordPress.
This allows me to run multiple blogs on a single instance of WordPress.
Right now I’ve moved this blog and Eclipsey Ramblings to multi-site. I’ll probably be moving Fallingrock Photography to it also (after I figure out the bug that’s causing the photos to not display correctly).
A few observations about the migrations that I’ve done so far … Continue reading
I’ve updated to release candidate 1 of WordPress.
Hopefully there won’t be any problems.
So far it seems to work fine.
Last night I wrote another wordpress plug-in … It’s called “Author Bio” and will add the authors biographical information (from their wordpress profile) to the bottom of the a post (only when the post is on a single page, not on the main page).
More information can be found on the plug-in page.
Hmmm … depending on the cost and schedule, I might be interested in attending Wordcamp Chicago.
I’m now running WordPress 2.7 Release Candidate 1.
Keep your fingers crossed that it doesn’t screw things up completely.
Actually, I’m not especially worried … in my little playing around with the beta versions, it’s been pretty stable.
Ginny has been bugging me about the problem she’s been having posting to her blog from the iPhone and other third party tools that she uses.
The problem has been narrowed down to a bug in LIBXML2 that causes leading angle brackets “<” to be stripped off of posts when processed through the XMLRPC support in PHP. I logged the issue in the WordPress bug tracker, and the consensus is that the problem started manifesting after an automatic update applied by Fedora 8.
Well, to solve the problem I’ve moved Ginny’s blog to a temporary server running in a base Fedora 8 install in a VMWare instance. Luckily WordPress stores most of it’s content in the MySQL database (not the images, unfortunately). A bit of NFS magic to mount the appropriate directory in the virtual system, and it’s working fine. The server itself only has Apache, PHP, MySQL client, SSH, and a few other bits & pieces to keep it running. No automatic updates, GUI, compilers, etc.
Once the bug is fixed (either WordPress, using a different XML processing mechanism, or LIBXML2) I’ll move her server back to the main server.
In the mean time, her blog is going to run in the virtual machine ‘Hobbittown’ (named because it’s small).