Every now and then someone asks me how I’ve got blogs setup on my servers.
As such, I’ve decided to create this post that documents my setup and why I made some of the decisions I did.Continue reading
Sorry it took so long, but other things had a higher priority.
I finally got around to writing a program that will update the current blog’s database with the content from the old database.
This is to correct the import problem that I discovered a few weeks ago.
I really should put together a bug report for wordpress.
Of course it would be even better if there were a mechanism to convert a single site wordpress blog to a multi-site blog, so these kind of issues would be avoided.
I’m in the process of experimenting with the multi-site capability of WordPress.
This allows me to run multiple blogs on a single instance of WordPress.
Right now I’ve moved this blog and Eclipsey Ramblings to multi-site. I’ll probably be moving Fallingrock Photography to it also (after I figure out the bug that’s causing the photos to not display correctly).
A few observations about the migrations that I’ve done so far … Continue reading
I’ve updated to release candidate 1 of WordPress.
Hopefully there won’t be any problems.
So far it seems to work fine.
Last night I wrote another wordpress plug-in … It’s called “Author Bio” and will add the authors biographical information (from their wordpress profile) to the bottom of the a post (only when the post is on a single page, not on the main page).
More information can be found on the plug-in page.
I’m now running WordPress 2.7 Release Candidate 1.
Keep your fingers crossed that it doesn’t screw things up completely.
Actually, I’m not especially worried … in my little playing around with the beta versions, it’s been pretty stable.
Ginny has been bugging me about the problem she’s been having posting to her blog from the iPhone and other third party tools that she uses.
The problem has been narrowed down to a bug in LIBXML2 that causes leading angle brackets “<” to be stripped off of posts when processed through the XMLRPC support in PHP. I logged the issue in the WordPress bug tracker, and the consensus is that the problem started manifesting after an automatic update applied by Fedora 8.
Well, to solve the problem I’ve moved Ginny’s blog to a temporary server running in a base Fedora 8 install in a VMWare instance. Luckily WordPress stores most of it’s content in the MySQL database (not the images, unfortunately). A bit of NFS magic to mount the appropriate directory in the virtual system, and it’s working fine. The server itself only has Apache, PHP, MySQL client, SSH, and a few other bits & pieces to keep it running. No automatic updates, GUI, compilers, etc.
Once the bug is fixed (either WordPress, using a different XML processing mechanism, or LIBXML2) I’ll move her server back to the main server.
In the mean time, her blog is going to run in the virtual machine ‘Hobbittown’ (named because it’s small).
I’ve encountered a weird error in WordPress … for some reason, when a post is submitted using the XML-RPC api (which is used by the WordPress iPhone app), any leading ‘<‘ symbols on the HTML is being stripped out.
Ginny noticed this a few days ago and I just confirmed it on a test blog.
The content that is posted looks something like this …
p>a href="http://beta.geekyramblings.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/p- 640-480-2fd9116d-5703-4e8b-b72c-2605beab02b5.jpeg">img src="http:// beta.geekyramblings.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/p-640-480-2fd9116d --5703-4e8b-b72c-2605beab02b5.jpeg" alt="" width="225" height="300" class="alignnone size-full wp-image-364" />/a>/p>
I’ll have to do some digging to find if this has already been logged or not.
I wish I was more skilled at PHP … I’m sure it’s someething I could sink my teeth into.
Update: FWIW I’ve opened ticket 7771 on the WordPress tracking system on this issue.