My poor little Laptop … something’s gone wrong with it’s video card.
A few days ago I was watching a video on the laptop and something went horribly wrong … the video got completely corrupted. Even rebooting the system didn’t help. My initial thought was that my external monitor had gone casters up, so I undocked the system and booted it up. Video on the laptops display was corrupted too.
Got on another PC and started a chat with Dell hardware support … I was quite surprised that the tech I chatted with quickly picked up on the fact that I was technically competent and didn’t waste my time with each individual mouse click and key press. He simply said “OK, let’s delete the video adapter from the device manager”.
After we deleted the video adapter and reinstalled the video drivers, the problem seemed to go away. The tech had me run a few video intensive programs to see if the failure came back. It didn’t.
Yesterday, however, the problem came back.
Well, ADT finally came and installed the new wireless backup unit.
Of course the upgrade wasn’t without it’s hitches …
- The guy who came wasn’t exactly the picture of professionalism. I assume he was a contractor and not a regular ADT field service engineer.
- The analog wireless unit was originally mounted in the basement … where we got a lousy signal (digital or analog) … so, after a number of false signal loss indications, ADT moved the unit to the kitchen pantry. The guy wanted to install the new digital unit back in the basement. I convinced him to install it in the same spot as the old one so we could get a good signal.
- He didn’t bring a staple gun … he had to use mine.
- He couldn’t figure out how to snake a wire behind a wall … I had to tell him to try fish a stiff wire (that I provided) up from the control panel up the wall and then attach the wire he was trying to bring down to the control panel so he could pull it down.
- He had a wimpy little pocket flashlight … so he couldn’t see in the closet that the wireless unit was mounted in … which caused him to wasted at least 20 minutes because he had secured two wires to the same contact point. I had to let him use my big maglight flashlight so he could see enough to get the unit wired correctly.
- He spent about 2 1/2 hours doing the install … I suspect that I could have had it done in 45 minutes.
All that said … the new unit is kind of interesting. It’s uses a GSM network … so it has SIM card. Not sure what the advantage of that is … probably just cheaper to manufacture.
Of course all this costs me $199 (less a $20 credit because they blew off the first appointment). I’m sure I’ll have much better service (picture sarcasm dripping off this sentence).
Yep, ADT missed another appointment. At least they called before hand. That doesn’t mitigate the fact that I took off early from work again.
I don’t know why I expect anything better from ADT … they’ve established a clear pattern.
I’ve rescheduled once again … I’m seriously thinking of calling ADT tomorrow, speaking to a supervisor, and informing them that … if they miss this next appointment … I’ll be invoicing THEM for my time (which, I suspect, is worth a lot more than their’s is).
It absolutely boggles my mind that service providers have no compunction about telling customers to be be home for a 4 hour span of time … and then not showing up.