Let’s get something cleared up here … I’m not annoyed at Motorola for not providing Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) for the Atrix 4G.
Not at all.
Companies need to make decisions about what hardware they are going to support and what hardware they aren’t going to support.
I participate in those kinds of decisions quite frequently at work.
What annoys me about what Motorola did is the fact that they lead consumers on for quite a long time … indicating that ICS was going to be provided on the Atrix 4G.
Well, I’m pretty pleased with CentOS so far.
I just completed a minor version upgrade (5.5 to 5.6) via yum and it went very smoothly. This involved 3 virtual guest and one host (the guests run inside the host).
I had one small glitch with the RPM database on middle-earth. Some dependencies were screwed up, but that was corrected by running
yum clean all.
In order to speed things up, I’m going to be mirroring the most current CentOS package repository on middle-earth … that way I can get the updates done much quicker (installs too).
Of course I still have to move a bunch of the applications to the virtual machine’s. I think I’m close to being able to retire gondor. Moving rivendell is going to a major effort.
Yes, it’s that time of year again … UPGRADE TIME!
With the release of Fedora 12 a few months ago, I’m taking the holiday break from work to get my servers up to a more current version of Linux.
The fact that Fedora 10, the version of Linux I am currently running, is no longer going to be updated added a little more incentive.
For those of you who are playing around with Windows 7 (like me) and use Norton Ghost to back your machine, you’ll probably be interested in the next version of Ghost.
I just completed the 2nd of two upgrades of my Linux systems to Fedora 10.
I’m very worried.
What’s got me worried? Both upgrades when relatively smoothly.
Ok, I got both iPhones upgraded to the 2.0 version of the iPhone OS.
Initially, I had some trepidation about upgrading a day early … and my feeling seemed to be valid when a co-worker tried to upgrade his phone and had a bunch of problems. He kept getting an “Unknown error (6)” message. I don’t know if he actually got his upgraded.
Regardless, I decided to throw caution to the wind and upgrade my phone anyways. Luckily, it worked without a single hitch.
When I got home from work, I proceeded to upgrade Ginny’s phone. This, of course, is where I ran into problems.
I started the upgrade process by first upgrading her iTunes to 7.7. That worked without any problems. Then I proceeded to upgrade her phone.
Initially it was going OK … then I got an “Unknown error (10)” message. Figuring that I would just restore the phone to it’s previous OS version, I tried the restore option … but when I did this I got an “Unknow error (20)” message. Tried a few more times and got the same message. This is not good.
I Googled around a bit and found a thread in the Apple support forum that said that, if I pressed Option (shift in Windows context) and clicked the restore button, I could ‘Recover’ to the 2.0 firmware. Luckily this worked.
About 20 minutes later I had Ginny’s iPhone working fine.
Five minutes after that, I we were both playing with the “Phone Saber” application.
Yep, it happened again … about this time last year I was trying to upgrade my servers to Fedora Core 6 and ran into some problems.
Well, I decided it was time to upgrade to Fedora 8 … and, since I have time off, I figured this was a fine time to do it again.
Of course, in retrospect … there never would have been a good time to do the upgrade, based on the problems I encountered. At least I know my backup procedure is fairly good now.
I had been planning this upgrade for weeks … everything was set. In fact, the first half of the upgrade went smooth as silk. I upgraded the main web server (gondor) to Fedora 8 and it went pretty nicely. Only two issues, both of which were solved after a little research.
This gave me the confidence to proceed to upgrade Rivendell to Fedora 8.
I started the upgrade by booting from the CD so I could install Fedora from the DVD ISO image I had on a USB hard drive. Problem is, the system wouldn’t boot this way.
Well, I finally got my Linux systems upgraded … both Rivendell & Gondor got upgraded to Fedora Core 6 this weekend.
There were a few minor glitches … but nothing that couldn’t be handled.
One thing that was kind of annoying is the fact that the Apache config (httpd.conf) was replaced on both servers (the original was backed up to a ‘rpmsave’ file). This, in itself, wasn’t that big a deal … but I wasn’t expecting it.
I have an idea for a good open source project … that could be incorporated into new distribution releases … an “Upgrade Impact Analysis” tool. It would evaluate your existing configuration, compare to what is known about a new distribution, and tell you what config files could be used without modification and which files would have to be reworked.
Another problem I had, which had me worried, was the fact that I couldn’t get ClamAV to rebuild. After a bit of research, I found that my linker configuration file ‘ld.so.conf’ had a ‘/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib’ listed. This has to be left over from one of my older Redhat installs. The files in that directory are timestamped April 15th 1999. To be honest, I’m shocked I was able to build anything with that old code in the linkers configuration. Luckily, simply commenting that line out fixed the problem.
So far everything seems to be working OK, so I’m cautiously optimistic.