As part of my fundraising effort for the Tour de Cure, I registered the domain “ridewithdavid.com”. I wanted an easy to remember domain that I could use as a portal to the fundraising page that the ADA provided.
So I created a basic web page that would redirect the visitor to my fundraising page after a few seconds pause.
I designed the page with some graphical elements and got it to a point that I thought it looked good.
The problem was, while the page looked fine on a normal desktop or tablet browser, it looked horrible on a mobile phone browser.
Here’s a screen shot of the page that is displayed on a desktop or tablet browser … notice the two graphical elements on the sides?
We’ve never had good cell phone coverage at home … even when we had Verizon service.
The coverage with AT&T is even worse … but, we do like the iPhones.
I was pretty interested when AT&T announced they were rolling out 3G Microcell devices.
Basically, a Microcell is a tiny 3G cell site. It provides 3G service to up to 10 authorized cell phones. The 3G service is provided using VoIP like service (if not exactly VoIP). The range is about 40 feet in all directions.
The Microcell has a built in GPS unit so that it can verify it’s in the correct location … for E911 service and, I assume, so the AT&T systems can tell which cell towers to hand the call off to when you leave the devices range.
Setting up the device wasn’t hard … although it took quite a long time to activate. The instructions indicated that it could take up to 90 minutes, but ours took about 3 hours.
It’s been more than a year since we got the original iPhones … so when Apple announced the new hardware version for the iPhone, I figured it was probably worth getting. The new version has a lot of features that I wanted … and, frankly, thought should have been in the first version.
Ok, I got both iPhones upgraded to the 2.0 version of the iPhone OS.
Initially, I had some trepidation about upgrading a day early … and my feeling seemed to be valid when a co-worker tried to upgrade his phone and had a bunch of problems. He kept getting an “Unknown error (6)” message. I don’t know if he actually got his upgraded.
Regardless, I decided to throw caution to the wind and upgrade my phone anyways. Luckily, it worked without a single hitch.
When I got home from work, I proceeded to upgrade Ginny’s phone. This, of course, is where I ran into problems.
I started the upgrade process by first upgrading her iTunes to 7.7. That worked without any problems. Then I proceeded to upgrade her phone.
Initially it was going OK … then I got an “Unknown error (10)” message. Figuring that I would just restore the phone to it’s previous OS version, I tried the restore option … but when I did this I got an “Unknow error (20)” message. Tried a few more times and got the same message. This is not good.
I Googled around a bit and found a thread in the Apple support forum that said that, if I pressed Option (shift in Windows context) and clicked the restore button, I could ‘Recover’ to the 2.0 firmware. Luckily this worked.
About 20 minutes later I had Ginny’s iPhone working fine.
Five minutes after that, I we were both playing with the “Phone Saber” application.